The 100 year old “Soldiers and Sailors Clock” in downtown DeKalb is being repaired to make it a working clock and memorial. In a project started to repair the clock by the DeKalb Rotary, funds have been raised to not only make the clock work, but to repaint and repair the structure itself. One of the first major donations came from the DeKalb American Legion Post #66 in the amount of $1,000.00.
From redoing the insides to prepping the outside for a special paint, Roger Keys (local restoration specialist) will spend a month getting the clock ready for a dedication (details on this dedication TBA). New faceplates and hands were crafted by Lumichron Clock Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The original clock was built by E. Howard Clock Company in Boston, Massachusetts. The design was one of a kind making the DeKalb Clock special. When placed the clock was all green (except for the ‘Memorial Plaques’ honoring WW1 Veterans) and prior to the official premiere, gold trim was added. The clock was placed downtown on Lincoln Highway in the fall of 1920, with the first dedication on February 13, 1921.
The current location of the clock is in Memorial Plaza at the corner of First Street and Lincoln Highway (Illinois Route 38).
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story