Keep the Wreath Red!
During this holiday season, the Sycamore Fire Department will be continuing the annual firehouse tradition of the Red Wreath Program. Both fire stations 1 & 2 will be displaying a wreath on the front of the buildings beginning Thanksgiving
The purpose of this challenge is to remind everyone that the happiness of the holiday season can be changed in an instant by a fire. Last year, the Sycamore Fire Department changed one bulb on the wreath from red to white during the holiday season. Fortunately, there were no injuries, and there was minimal property damage. We encourage everyone to enjoy this time of year with family, but remember common sense and awareness of fire threats can keep the wreaths red! A few quick reminders for a safe holiday season include:
· Please keep hydrants clear and accessible to the fire department. Please do not place anything around the hydrants, such as garbage cans, snow, etc. that could interfere with a quick response from the fire department during an emergency.
· If you insist on using a turkey fryer, use them outdoors where there are no objects nearby that could catch fire. Use extreme caution, as personal injury could still occur.
· Inspect all of your illuminated decorations to make sure they are in safe working order. Some things to check for are; frayed wires or open light sockets. Please only use exterior approved cords outdoors. Extension cords should not be run under throw rugs or carpet.
· Keep live Christmas trees watered. If your tree is beginning to dry out, please limit the use of Christmas lights. Always turn illuminated decorations off prior to leaving your house.
· Make sure your fireplace is in good working condition and your chimney is free of obstructions or creosote build-up. Remember, do not burn garbage in the fireplace such as gift wrap or mail.
· Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Keep at least 12 inches of space between the candles and any objects.
· As always, make sure your smoke detectors are all in working order. If you did not change your batteries when you changed your clocks for daylight savings time, change them now.
For more information on holiday safety, please contact the Sycamore Fire Department at (815) 895-4514, or visit us on Facebook at City of Sycamore Fire Department for occasional postings.
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story