Not sure if you want to grill sausages or burgers? How about a delicious combination? We found this great Bratwurst Burger recipe from our friends at Kalamazoo Grills. Serve with a crisp rosé or a lightly chilled fruity red, like a Rioja.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Aleppo chili (you can find this at Williams Sonoma)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground juniper berries
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon whole black mustard seed, coarsely-ground
- 1/2 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 2 pinches fine sea salt
- About 6 ounces of thinly-shaved fennel bulb plus the wispy fronds
- 6 slices Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- 6 pretzel hamburger buns, sliced
- 6 large tomato slices
1. Cut the pork shoulder into 1/2 –inch cubes. Pork shoulder is roughly 80% lean, so it is perfect for a grilled burger application like this.
2. Place the meat pieces in a single layer and sprinkle evenly with the salt, Aleppo chili, coriander, cardamom, and juniper berries. Please note that the flavor of freshly-ground spices is much stronger than pre-ground spices. Grind the spices with a coffee grinder.
3. Transfer the seasoned meat to a metal bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. A metal bowl will helps chill the meat. It is important that the fat be well-chilled prior to grinding.
4. Place the mayonnaise, mustard seed, champagne vinegar and salt in a medium mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly combine. Toss with the fennel and reserve.
5. Using a meat grinder, food grinder attachment on a mixer, or a food processor, finely grind the meat. Form ground meat into 6 equal patties, slightly larger than the buns and recessed in the middle.
6. Prepare the grill for direct grilling over a medium-hot fire, about 500°F. Grill the burgers, turning once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Add a slice of cheese to each for the last minute of cooking. Lightly toast the buns on the grill at this time.
7. Assemble the burgers with a slice of tomato and the fennel slaw and serve.
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story