Ed note: Mary Poppins would say, “in every job that must be done there is an element of fun.” That’s certainly the case with these awesome apps that help teach language and culture in an engaging and entertaining way. Leer en español.
We live in a day and age where kids are literally born tech-savvy. They don’t know the world without laptops, tablets and smartphones. I feel like it’s a great time to take advantage of the technology available and infuse their days with some cultura.
Here’s a list of apps that are available for iOS and Android that will educate and entertain your bi-cultural kids:
Best apps for toddlers
These apps are great from babies to preschoolers. They are age appropriate apps, which not only entertain with sounds and graphics, but also help grow and develop vocabularies. Best of all, most of these apps are free!
- Pacca Alpaca
- Rosetta Stone® Kids Lingo Letter Sounds
- Alfabeto Spanish Alphabet (Android only)
- Kandoobi Animals in Spanish ($2.99, iOS only)
- Niños Bilingüe (iOS only)
- ABC Music (iOS only)
Best apps for Spanish reading skills
For older kids, these apps will help build a phonic foundation for their skills. Most of these are focused on reading in Spanish. They are a fun way to identify syllables, as well as to learn basic grammar skills.
- ABC Spanish Spelling Magic – Deletreador mágico
- Lee paso a paso
- Pepe and Pepita: Bilingual Spanish gender & vocab challenge ($0.99, iOS)
- ABC Spanish Reading Magic – Lectura Mágica
- Spanish Baby Flash Cards 2
Best apps/story books for sharing our culture
With gorgeous illustrations, bright colors, a dose of history and tons of culture, these storybooks will keep kids entertained. From stories that teach about Día de los Muertos to classic Hispanic lullabies, there’s an app for that. Please keep in mind that these apps are only available for iOS devices.
- Luca pestañas el niño de ojos marrones con las pestañas mágicas
- Oy Mexico
- Pedro & Marg
- Frida’s World ($2.99)
- Rosita y Conchita in 3D ($4.99)
- Arroz con leche ($1.99)
No doubt that we are living in a more connected world. These apps will help this new generation to love our rich and diverse culture as much as we do.
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story