This weekend, May 4th and 5th, 2013 is the Shabbona Lake Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass Contest Weekend. Shabbona is full of very large Bass. The Lake record is 23”, 7.85 Pounds. Over the years they have heard several unverified reports of 8+ pound Bass.
You must sign up at Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental and donate $5 To the Walleye Restocking Fund prior to your catch to qualify. Fish must be alive when measured. Shabbona Lakeside encourages catch and release, as soon as the fish is measured. One witness must be present to verify your catch, when you enter your catch. Determination of winning qualifying fish will be by weight. Weigh In at Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental.
Prizes include: 1st Place – Choice of $100 gift certificate at Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental or an all-day weekday Pontoon or all day weekday Bass Boat Rental; 2nd Place – Choice of $50 gift certificate at Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental or an all-day weekday Motor Boat Rental and 3rd Place – Choice of $25 gift certificate at Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental or an all-day Weekday Kayak or Canoe Rental.
All entrees must be caught at Shabbona Lake between 6 AM Saturday, May 4th and 6 PM Sunday, May 5th. Sponsored by Lakeside Bait, Tackle & Boat Rental www.shabbonalake.com 815-824-2581.
Early Spring Bass fishing techniques at Shabbona Lake include the following:
1. White Spinner bait –Work the shorelines & fallen logs
2. Chatterbaits – Work the rock piles
3. Rattle Traps – Work the bays in 5-8 feet of water
4. Rapalas – Work the stumps
5. Craw Papi – Work the drop offs
6. Baby 1 Minus – Work the earthen pier shorelines
7. Live Bait – Try a nightcrawler with no weight against a tree stump & leeches on a slip bobber next to wood.
8. Shad Raps – Work the 3-6 foot range
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story