All DeKalb County, IL Schools, including Northern Illinois University and Kishwaukee College, will be closed Monday, January 28, 2019 because of extreme winter weather. Please notify us if you hear of any exceptions.
The weather forecast for Monday calls for snow, wind, and dropping temperatures later in the day.
School closures are very likely through at least Wednesday of this week as temperatures are predicted to plummet to dangerous levels. Wednesday might see a *high* of -18℉, with low temperatures approaching -30℉, according to the Weather Channel forecast.
Kishwaukee College has already announced that their campus will be closed on Wednesday, January 30, but will be open on Tuesday, January 29 at this point.
In addition, NIU posted the following detailed announcement on their website:
Weather Status Update for week of Monday, Jan. 28, 2019
With extreme weather expected this week, Northern Illinois University has announced the following closures.
- Due to heavy snow, freezing rain and high winds, the main campus in DeKalb, as well as satellite campuses in Naperville, Rockford, Hoffman Estates and Lorado Taft, will be closed from midnight until 5 p.m., Monday, Jan. 28. Evening classes and events will be held as scheduled.
- Due to extremely cold temperatures, the main campus in DeKalb will be closed from 10 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 29 until 10 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30. Satellite campuses will be open and operating on their regular schedules.
The university will be closely monitoring weather conditions throughout the week and adjustments to the schedule will be made as necessary.
The Huskie Safe Line will suspend service during these closures.
Huskie Bus operations will not begin until 10 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 28. For more specific information on routes and times – including the Elburn Shuttle – consult the Huskie Bus Tracker app.
NIU Campus Dining will have altered hours of operation this week:
- Monday 1/28 – Neptune and New Hall will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. All other locations, including all retail locations, will be closed.
- Tuesday 1/29 – New Hall Dining will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. All retail locations will be open regular hours.
- Wednesday 1/30 – Gilbert, Neptune, New Hall, and Stevenson Dining will be open from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. All retail locations will be closed.The City of DeKalb is offering several warming centers. Locations and hours of operation can be found online.
During winter months, all students, faculty and staff are urged to use caution and personal judgment in their travels to and from campus and to dress appropriately for protection from cold temperatures and wind chills. NIU weather status information is regularly updated on this page.
Please notify your instructor or supervisor of weather-related delays or absences.
The university will provide an update at 1 p.m., Monday, Jan. 28.
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story