Ask anyone with actual knowledge of conditions inside the DeKalb County Jail. It’s overcrowded and it’s been that way for awhile.
So Governor Pat Quinn announced $7 million going out to 31 Illinois counties to divert non-violent offenders from prison into more effective community-based services. The investments are through Adult Redeploy Illinois, a proven, successful program. Illinois’ recidivism rate has dropped from 55 percent to 47 percent due to the program, according to Governor Quinn’s office.
Adult Redeploy Illinois, administered by the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority (ICJIA), provides financial incentives to counties or judicial circuits to create or expand diversion programs that employ evidence-based practices and encourage the successful local supervision of eligible offenders. The results are better outcomes for offenders which improves public safety at a lower cost to taxpayers. The awards were determined by the Adult Redeploy Illinois Oversight Board (ARIOB).
Adult Redeploy Illinois will award 18 grants covering 34 counties. These include:
- 2nd Judicial Circuit Court Services, $302,207 (Crawford, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jefferson, Lawrence, Richland, Wabash, Wayne and White Counties)
- Effingham County Probation Department, $168,282 (Also serving Christian County)
- 9th Judicial Circuit Court, $436,680 (Fulton, Hancock, Henderson, Knox, McDonough and Warren Counties)
- 13th Judicial Circuit Probation and Court Services, $281,263 (LaSalle County)
- 17th Judicial Circuit Court, $150,000 (Boone County)
- Cook County Justice Advisory Council, $1,541,461
- 18th Judicial Circuit Court, $317,514 (DuPage County)
- Jersey County Probation Office, $123,766
- Kane County Adult Court Services, $300,000
- Lake County Circuit Court, $215,835
- Macon County State’s Attorney’s Office, $318,911
- Madison County Probation Department, $213,718
- McLean County Court Services, $168,488
- Peoria County Probation Department, $300,286
- Sangamon County Circuit Court, $224,724
- St. Clair County Probation Department, $388,663
- Winnebago County Circuit Court, $646,775
Shouldn’t DeKalb County and/or the 16th Judicial be on this list?
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story