A mural depicting early road construction methods is Cortland’s contribution to the Illinois Lincoln Highway Scenic Byway mural program. There will be a dedication ceremony on Saturday May 29 at 1:00 pm and the public is invited.
The mural is located at 55 W. Lincoln Hwy. on the Cresswood Recycling Systems building on Lincoln Highway (IL 38) immediately west of the Kelley-Williamson mini-mart. The mural is the latest in 43 murals that will be displayed along the Lincoln Highway across Illinois.
The Lincoln Highway, also known as “America’s greatest road,” was the first coast-to-coast paved highway in America. It ushered in the Good Roads Movement and became the symbol of a national crusade to create a highway system for the country. In 1919, to call attention to the need for paved roads and national preparedness, then-Colonel Dwight David Eisenhower participated in a military expedition along the highway and stopped in Cortland, possibly near the location of our mural. The Lincoln Highway was used by cross-country racers and was the subject of numerous poems and songs back in the day.
For more information about the Illinois Lincoln Highway, visit www.drivelincolnhighway.com.
Click Here To Submit A News Tip Or Story